SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida to Chesapeake late fall
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Since you have the time (and unless you're dead set on the Bahamas), I would make my way to Miami, then do a series of overnight hops up to Hilton Head Island (Miami-Ft Pierce, Ft Pierce-St Augustine, St Augustine-Hilton Head), then go inside on the ICW (I would go all the way to Beaufort Inlet myself in two more hops, the last two nights, but the trip inside is worth doing once).

Easy day to Beaufort SC, then two to Charleston (anchoring the first night), two days to Georgetown SC, then another two to Myrtle Beach, then to Southport, then an easy day to Wrightsville Beach (to put you in a good anchoring spot going to Beaufort). Two more days to Beaufort NC, then an easy day to Oriental. From there, you can go to the Outer Banks (Orcacoke, then Manteo), or follow the ICW up through BellHaven and the Alligator River. Then you have another choice of the Dismal Swamp (my choice) or the Virginia Cut up to Norfolk. Except on the Nuese River in NC and crossing the Ablemarle Sound (one day each), weather shouldn't be a big factor. Once on the Chessy, you have all kinds of choices.

The outside hops are weather permitting, of course. This is just a suggestion on my part, based on my trips through these areas, and what I think is a good mixture of speed and scenic.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PBzeer; 05-09-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook