Thread: portlight
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by donlofland View Post
Howsabout this from Catalina Direct?

Catalina Direct: Aluminum Window Reseal Kit C-30, C-36
To be fair, the images are not that great quality so I may be wrong but the profile of the rubbers doesn't look to me to be anything like the original Lewmar extrusion.

Another thing while we're on the subject of these portlights, behind the hinge there is a little plastic gadget with two wings that acts as a spring and provides the "ratchet" effect when the glass is lifted. It's the little odd-shaped thing next to the pin in the drawing below.

With time the sharp tips break off or go soft and the glass won't stay up. I'm sure we've all experienced this.

If you strip the hinge (knock the little pin out), there are two holes where the two screws go in, into which one can insert a small piece of rubber (I use pieces cut off the old rubber seal I remove) on top of the screws. The little wing thingy then goes on top of the rubbers and the ratchet effect works just great. The little wing thingies are really expensive and this is a durable fix - mine are a few years old now and still working great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook