SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why so few new boats under 30ft?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011

benajah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLifeSailing View Post
Btw, regarding the comment that a mid-30's modern production boat looks like it only cost 50K, that comment really needs to be re-thought.

My 1981 boat has a steering wheel that lists for $750 with a $250 suede wrapper on it. My engine new, would cost $12,000. We are now at $13,000 for a motor and a steering wheel. A new Genoa? $3500. A mainsail? $2500.00 Two primary winches? $1500 each. Now we're at $22,000 for two sails, two out of say, 5 winches, a steering wheel with no place to put it, and a motor sitting in a crate with no driveshaft, stuffing box, or propeller. We're missing a hull, through hulls, a binnacle, a fridge, sink, head, cushions, oh heck, the parts list is pretty long.

Get your hands on a wholesale price list for marine parts and then walk around a sailboat. On a sailboat in the 36' range You will find about a quarter of a million dollars worth of high-priced marine gear, all assembled and installed by hand.
That was a comment that I made, but I think it is slightly misunderstood. What I intended to say was that the production cost was at a $50K level when you look at the actual cost to the individual companies who produced the parts, and the assembly company. Once you start tacking on profit and fee for all the parts companies as they change hands going up the value chain to be assembled is where the price goes up.
Thats a big reason why WalMart can sell stuff so cheap. Few to no middlemen in the supply chain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook