SailNet Community - View Single Post - Checking out or inspecting a $3-6K boat?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Hey dg as you mentioned the PO can tell you a lot about the condition a boat is in. I assume your PO probably did do a good upkeep, then was/is the boat used? You mention in & out of water check. I personally like out of water check as it is easier to check all below the waterline. A clause in you sales agreement can protect you from problems in the water. Just a satisfactory sea trial clause should cover, leaks, engine performance, sail performance, etc. if they aren't satisfactory No Sale.
Bottom line; it is hard to spend 20% of your $4000 budget to haul in and out a boat, have it surveyed and then find out you don't want it. Hard to swallow as now your budget will be down by $750-$1,000
Befriend if you don't know anybody already a salty sailor that knows and has looked/owned many boats and do read-up on the subject(s) and then check the boat (in the $3K-$6K range) out by yourself and trust your intuition.
Now as mentioned B-4 insurance companies most likely will require a survey although some accept older ones if there has been one done.
If the boat is being used there probably is insurance on it, see if you can take over/continue the coverage.
Good luck in realizing your dream.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]

Last edited by EJO; 05-11-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook