SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Aground In Annapolis, MD- Can someone help this man
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Glad to see it. I hope he can at least find some liability insurance on his old boat, since a boat like that can do some serious damage.

I tried to get to my boat yesterday and couldn't. We normally have 6' tidal swings, but it was up to 8', and was even higher than NOAA's 7' spring tide prediction. I was wondering if someone was emptying a big reservoir upriver, since there had been no recent rainfall or winds pushing the water in.

When I parked my car the water was into the parking lot about 18" past the end of the dock. I quickly changed my shoes and went back to the dock expecting to hop the 18" but it had moved to about 6' from the dock. It was still about 30 minutes to high tide, so I gave up and left because I did not want to wait over an hour for it to recede.

FYI, here's how it looked in Annapolis:

Noaa is very bad at predicting tides on the chesapeake. I lived on the bay and in about 1995 Noaa predicted 3 foot above msl and a hurricane surge caused an 8 foot above msl tide. Sometimes Conowingo Dam will release a lot of water (during heavy rains in PA) and the water will cause the bay to rise and when topped with winds and spring/fall tides it can amount to many times the normal tide. The release from Conowingo a few days ago might have helped the water level rise: USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 01578310 SUSQUEHANNA RIVER AT CONOWINGO, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook