SailNet Community - View Single Post - Columbia 36 Shower
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gon2sea View Post
Tom,

just find any tupperware that will fit into the bilge, buy a cheap 500gph pump and a separate float to control it and mount both in the tupperware and have the shower sump discharge in it, the float will automatically pump it out. you dont want to let the shower discharge in the bilge, the soap, oils, hair, scum, all in time will make a stinky mess... you can always place the pump assembly in the next bilge area aft and simply drill a hole for the shower hose to run thru if the bilge next to the head is too small.
make sure the "tupperware" is deep enough so water doesnt spill when healing. another advantage of placing the pumping station a bit aft is that you can now let the ice box drain into it as well.

Eric
Ya know, I have looked into the same thing while I was thinking of how the sumps are designed and how I could do it myself. All you need is a small container that you can mount a small bilge pump in. When I priced the individual parts out, the price was close to the shower sump that West Marine sells. Yea, I know. Their prices are generally MUCH higher than what you find on the Net or what you can do yourself, but sometimes they have decent prices on some things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook