SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau 42 DS Comissioning
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
First off, My 25 yr old Jeanneau every 2-3 yrs when I haul it out, has cracks to a point like what is shown. As do many others I know of other brands etc. Typical issue to a point for sailboats with keels.

BUT, with this in mind, TO me it still looks like someone grounded the boat with that much of a crack in the keel moving from initial yard, to boat show, to the yard you took delivery from IIRC the Dealer in FL has MANY sales sites. Who is to say how many times the boat was moved etc.

Not sure I would call what you see criminal, UNLESS they know a paid delivery person did the damage, and has not confessed, and they need to go after them. Or from your posting, I am assuming you are not english speaking as a #1 language, more a #2 or 3. So criminal is the word you are using to mean maddening or some other such thing.

I personally do not see an issue with the dealer/yard pulling the keel off, refairing the hull, rebolting, gluing etc the keel back on. That is the least they can do. This occurs I do not want to say frequently with older boats, but as I mentioned earlier, this cracking, and having to rebed the keel is a common maintenance issue you may or will have to do down the road.

In the mean time, Even if you were buying a catalina, hunter, Oyster etc..... The damage you see could occur if the boat was grounded as I suspect in an initial run. or test sail etc. It is not in your best interest to bad mouth the dealer or manufacture with this issue IMHO. Sure ask how it can be fixed, get it fixed on there nickel before taking delivery, and enjoy the boat. Keep posting here and over at the jeanneau owners site, register you boat in the owners area too. There are also some owners groups getting formed thru out the US, or if you are from elsewhere, look towards home to see what might be local also.

marty