SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jeanneau 42 DS Comissioning
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
First off, My 25 yr old Jeanneau every 2-3 yrs when I haul it out, has cracks to a point like what is shown. As do many others I know of other brands etc. Typical issue to a point for sailboats with keels.

BUT, with this in mind, TO me it still looks like someone grounded the boat with that much of a crack in the keel moving from initial yard, to boat show, to the yard you took delivery from IIRC the Dealer in FL has MANY sales sites. Who is to say how many times the boat was moved etc.

Hei Marty,

That don't seem normal to me. My Bavaria after seven years of use and some soft groundings (on sand and very slow speed) did not have a single crack. I think that what AlexMia wants to say is that what is normal to have in that place, where the keel joins the hull, is a flexible joint of mastic, not some paint trying to cover a problem. And criminal is perhaps a strong word but is illegal to try to conceal a defect in a new boat (or at least it his here).

I understand Mia doubts after a dealer that instead of discussing with him a problem try to conceal it. I understand why he does not have any confidence in that dealer. I would had the same doubts.

I think that after what happened I would demand somebody responsible from the factory to have a look at the boat, to see if it is in perfect conditions to have the keel remounted or not, I would demand a full explanation of what happened and a full apologize from jeanneau. I would also contract a good independent surveyor to follow all the re-montage of the keel to see if the steel attachment is not bent and if everything is absolutely perfect. But that is just me that don't like to be treated as a fool.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook