SailNet Community - View Single Post - Let me introduce myself
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011

flbkroxie is on a distinguished road
Question How long can this possibly take?

As I mentioned earlier, my goal for today was to to install a Sony stereo receiver with Ipod/Iphone capabilities (very cool) and two interior speakers. Sounds simple, right? WRONG!

The instructions were useless. A lot of pictures, but little English. I've never installed any kind of 12 volt anything, so this was definately a learning experience. Hubby gave me a few hinters before he left on a week long golf trip with the guys, but now I was on my own.

I had to figure out how to mount the the unit above the galley so it wouldn't move around. There was already a huge hole there and a plexiglass cover. I had to learn how to wire the unit for power, and to run the wires for the speakers so they wouldn't be seen, which was one of the hardest tasks. Thank you internet!!!

Without going into too much boring detail (it took me ALL day), I finally mounted the unit, ran the speaker wires to the unit, tapped into an existing power wire for power and ground, and jig sawed a faceplate that actually fits!

I think I did everything twice. Maybe three times. I tried to jig saw the existing plexiglass faceplate, but broke it. Learned I had put the jig saw blade in backwards. There were no instructions and hubby was on the golf course, so how was I to know? Looked on the internet and found my mistake. So I made another faceplate out of some precut red oak from home depot that I had bought for shelving, and it turned out well. Will stain it to match the 'teak" flooring. Everything has to match you know!

I connected all the wires with this heat shrink stuff that's great for marine applications, tested the unit, it worked great, and was about to put it all together when I realized that I had not run the wires through the mounting unit! Dang!

Had to cut all the wires I had just stripped, crimped, and shrunk, and do it all over again. By this time I was really ready to call it quits. After a lot of trial and error I'm happy to say it works!

Tomorrow I will re-do all the connections, since I ran out of the heat shrink stuff and resorted to electrical tape, and build some speaker boxes for the speakers. Love that jig saw.

Enjoying a glass of Scotch tonight, proud that I did it myself!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook