Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 12
You are on the right track. You have identified your needs and budget, are willing to learn, and to do your own maintenance.
A few random comments:
- With boats that are 30 years old, maintenance by the current / previous owners is more important than the original manufacturer of the boat. By that I mean you will find 30 year old Sabre's that are junk, and you might find a 30 year old Irwin that is mint (no offense to Irwin owners, but most people would agree that Sabre is higher quality than Irwin).
- When you look at various boats, add value for things that are important to you and discount things that are not. For example, an updated galley might be important to you if plan on spending weekends aboard and plan on cooking aboard. If the current owners added a huge, expensive solar power system, but you only will spend a few weekends aboard, that expense would not influence you.
- There are lots of boats in the 28-32' size that would meet your needs. A typical Cruiser / Racer from Catalina, Hunter, Beneteau, O'day, Newport, Pearson, Cal, etc. would meet your needs. You need to look at various boats until you see a few features you like and then you can narrow your focus. For example, my boat stays on a mooring and I row a dingy to get to her. A swim platform is very important to me and few boats in 80's came with them. That helped me narrow my search.
- You should try to find a good broker and work with him. Look at lots of boats and have the broker explain the merits of one vs another.
- Lots of boats from the 70's came with gas engines. By the mid 80's most boats came with diesel. Is this important? I don't know. Boats with diesel engines sell for more than boats with gas engines.
- If you value headroom, boats under 30' won't have much. Older 30's won't either. By the mid 80's you will find more.
I guess that's enough for now.
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.