SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bonding/Electrolysis
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Bonding/Electrolysis

So we hauled Laurie Anne last week for bottom paint, zincs, and some paint touch up. Everything looked pretty good until I noticed some rust on the strut around where the strut is welded to the pipe that houses the cutlass bearing. There is a lot of electrolysis and after grinding the soft stuff out it appears that someone that shall remain nameless (PO) covered it up with some kind of filler, and he also didn't bother bonding it to the hull zincs. Of course this would have required a 2.5' piece of wire and crimping two eyes to the ends so I can understand why he didn't do it . Hopefully it will be able to be welded, otherwise I will need to have a new piece made and then welded to the strut in exactly the same location so that the prop shaft will line up. I feel kind of stupid because I didn't check that the strut was bonded, but in my defense the bolts are directly under the engine oil pan and you have to be upside down and know where to look to even see them. Just a heads up to check that all of your stainless is bonded to your zincs, I don't even want to know how much having a new one of these might cost.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook