SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Charles, Va
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
The bunker boat is a relatively new wreck, one that I didn't know existed until I talked with one of the local Crisfield charter captains a couple months ago. The Tangier Wreck is on the west side about 1.5 miles from the beach. You really can't see the wreck--just some of the ship's I-beam ribs protruding just a few inches above the surface. The only target ship that is still above the water is the American Mariner, which is about 6-miles northwest of Smith Island. The only navigation hazard there is the remnants of the Old Hannibal, which is completely submerged. The Hannibal's boilers are about 50 feet west of the American Mariner. If you have some diving gear onboard, the water is just 18 feet deep and you can find lots of high-quality anchors attached to the boilers and surrounding debris. The anchors are lost every season by unwary anglers that try to anchor close to the ship to catch tautog. Once an anchor is wedged in the midst of several tons of steel the only way to retrieve it is with diving gear.

Good Luck,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook