SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boom/Cunningham setup
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011
Adrift

XPatriot is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Boom/Cunningham setup

I'm trying to sort out various things that don't make a lot of sense to me.

I took my boat out several times last year after purchasing it around the end of the sailing season and now am actually getting her where I feel she needs to be.

One thing I'm working on is the boom/cunningham/gooseneck set up.

PO had ignored the Cunningham Cringle and just added a slug there. This I have removed.

The way that the rest of the area is set up (see picture) is that there is an eye hole below the gooseneck. There is a line fed through a clamcleat that holds the boom down. Basically the boom floats apart from this line and there is a screw below the gooseneck the holds the boom up when the main is down.

I have a cleat on either side of the mast- one for the jib halyard, one for the main halyard. That's it. There is an eye at the base of the boom but the vang uses this.

Basically I feel the clam cleat should be for the cunningham line, but then is the boom OK to float? I can't believe a 34 year old boat has one less attachment point on the mast and I'm the first one to be stumped by this. The main is hardly new, so it's not like I just added a sail with a Cunningham cringle.

Advice or (as I always ask) a cheap solution to help me have this set up correctly?

Thanks!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us