SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boom/Cunningham setup
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-16-2011 Thread Starter
Exclamation Boom/Cunningham setup

I'm trying to sort out various things that don't make a lot of sense to me.

I took my boat out several times last year after purchasing it around the end of the sailing season and now am actually getting her where I feel she needs to be.

One thing I'm working on is the boom/cunningham/gooseneck set up.

PO had ignored the Cunningham Cringle and just added a slug there. This I have removed.

The way that the rest of the area is set up (see picture) is that there is an eye hole below the gooseneck. There is a line fed through a clamcleat that holds the boom down. Basically the boom floats apart from this line and there is a screw below the gooseneck the holds the boom up when the main is down.

I have a cleat on either side of the mast- one for the jib halyard, one for the main halyard. That's it. There is an eye at the base of the boom but the vang uses this.

Basically I feel the clam cleat should be for the cunningham line, but then is the boom OK to float? I can't believe a 34 year old boat has one less attachment point on the mast and I'm the first one to be stumped by this. The main is hardly new, so it's not like I just added a sail with a Cunningham cringle.

Advice or (as I always ask) a cheap solution to help me have this set up correctly?

Uploaded with

1984 Watkins 25
Sassafras River, MD
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome