SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time boat buyer seeking advice
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
DAWG -

I can't really break out the exact differences between the 80s, 90's and 00 Sabres; I haven't done a detailed comparison. I can say that Sabre is a company of evolution; they build on previous success and refine the designs. I think this is why their design hold up over time. They stay away from gimmicks and update when it makes sense.

I've observed that in keeping with the market, there is less teak overall (inside and out) in the newer boats. Fittings are high quality and appear to be a step above the 80's quality - more SS and less aluminum or chromed bronze. Wiring appears to be a good bit neater than in the 80s. The designs of the 90's or 00's trend toward the aft cabin arrangement. Aft sections in newer boats are more full to accommodate interior volume and I suspect, provide more power. Hull sections are much better refined in the newer boats - more ellipses in the keels and rudders. I don't think that they do centerboards any longer - wing keels provide better performance anyway. Their layup is much more refined than in the 80's - you can get a detailed description in "Worlds Best Sailboats Vol II".

With all this said, after owning 2 Sabres ('84 Sabre 28 / '84 Sabre 38), the older boats hold up very well with a commensurate price if properly maintained. There are a few chronic problem areas on nearly all Sabres of this vintage - leaky chainplates, lifting handrails, poor mast drainage. Of course most boats of this vintage are in desperate need of modernization, which is comprises the core of my work while owning our boats. We rarely add anything, we mostly work toward modernizing what is already there.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Just trying to answer the question.

VICTORIA (and her mistress)