SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Gemini catamaran owners willing to take me sailing?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011

arja is on a distinguished road
Gemini 105 MC owner

As a 7 year owner of a 2004 105 MC Gemini, several observations. Living space is delightful and well designed. While these vessels have been taken over the pond and south to the Cape, it would not be my vessel of choice to do so. She is strong, but not indestructible, like a Hinckley Bermuda 40 which I also own. I have had the Hinckley in 55 knots of wind with a mizzen and a slight bit of the head sail enjoying Cape Cod Bay safely and securely. And when the breeze freshens up to 20-25 or 30, I just shorten sail, not eliminate sail. The Gemini would be well secured to a mooring or dock in conditions such as Cape Cod Bay.

This being said, an earlier respondent noted all boats come with compromises and limitations. The instruction manual for the Gemini is explicit in following wind strength related to sail, heel, direction of wind, usage of center boards (2), all with a focus on anticipation of changing sea and wind conditions. Too much sail up is not a behavior I would encourage or support for this type of vessel. I have had green water over the hard dodger offshore of Atlantic City heading (motor sailing) to Montauk and the Gemini rode well and safely. Yes, she will pound at specific points of sail and sea conditions or while motoring.

I find her to be a safe and secure coastal vessel, and one capable of rough conditions. But not one that I'd like to spend days in the Gulf stream enjoying the best of mother nature. A vessel like the Bermuda 40 would fit better there, or heading to Block Island from Newport in a good 30 knot blow. Exhaustion of the crew comes to mind in a Gulf stream type of situation, before a compromise of a Bermuda 40 vessel would come to mind.

So if you like sailing on the level, the Gemini is a good boat to consider. True heeling is not an attribute one should consider unless enjoying something like a Hobe 14 or 16, etc. The Gemini's boards will address upwind nicely, the power leg rotation with p&s rudders offers good manuveering control, and the sail plan with the dual head sail is easy to use. For the price, I enjoy it and find it fun to enjoy, great for 'thin water' and a hit with my kids.

But if you consistently want to 'campaign' in noticable seas and heavy wind, there are better choices, like a bullet proof monohull. For both types, intelligence with sail plan and amount of linen up will clearly make things safer and more enjoyable.

In summary, the Gemini is a good vessel, well priced and good products on a well built boat. But I would be hard pressed to think that even with good care, it will be as solid as my 1967 Hinkley Bermuda 40 yawl after 44 good years of sailing and care. I have owned her for 25 years and she gets better with age and care.

Good luck. There are Geminis in both Naples and Ft. Lauderdale with brokers who would, no doubt, be pleased to take you out and show you the pontoons, so to speak.

Last edited by arja; 05-17-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook