SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you do if....?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Did a little sleuthing. Per Wikipedia, Harrison didn’t invent his H5 chronometer until 1773. The Royal Navy didn’t widely distribute them amongst the fleet until 1825. Up until that point, navigators were using the very much less accurate lunar method for determining longitude.
Terribly minor nit-pick, but just to correct the record here: The Lunar Distance Method is a far more accurate way to determine longitude than using the chronometers of the day - after all, once they were invented, it was the Lunar Distance Method they used to adjust the chronometers!

..the only downside is it takes a few pages of extremely complicated (at least they are to me!) maths calculations to get a result. But then I was never very good at maths.

Last edited by Classic30; 05-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook