SailNet Community - View Single Post - Size & Type: Dock lines vs. Mooring lines
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
Size & Type: Dock lines vs. Mooring lines

Hi All,
I'm just about complete on my purchase of this Contessa 26 and I noticed that every last one of the previous owner's mooring lines as well as their docking lines are about to fall apart; Not one will I trust to keep the boat secured.

So...
My home yacht club requires a minimum of 5/8" lines with thimbles and then to chain to moor against the dock. That's fine. I am able to splice my own 3-strand nylon lines but am wondering if there is a better choice.

Before I reach my home yacht club, we'll be cruising for 3+ weeks, bouncing between yacht clubs, marinas and anchoring in the great lakes. I plan to buy a set of dock lines and am wondering what the length, size and type of line will work best. Keep in mind, this is a heavy, yet tiny, cruiser so I want to keep enough line to give me enough contingency but not fill all the lockers with line. Will 1/2" 6900-8500lbs line suffice? I prefer handling braid but I think 3-strand might be easier to cut/splice etc.

Since I'm replacing so much line at once, does it make sense to buy a bulk spool that can be used for mooring lines, docking lines and maybe get some mileage for extra anchor line?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook