SailNet Community - View Single Post - Size & Type: Dock lines vs. Mooring lines
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-17-2011 Thread Starter
Size & Type: Dock lines vs. Mooring lines

Hi All,
I'm just about complete on my purchase of this Contessa 26 and I noticed that every last one of the previous owner's mooring lines as well as their docking lines are about to fall apart; Not one will I trust to keep the boat secured.

My home yacht club requires a minimum of 5/8" lines with thimbles and then to chain to moor against the dock. That's fine. I am able to splice my own 3-strand nylon lines but am wondering if there is a better choice.

Before I reach my home yacht club, we'll be cruising for 3+ weeks, bouncing between yacht clubs, marinas and anchoring in the great lakes. I plan to buy a set of dock lines and am wondering what the length, size and type of line will work best. Keep in mind, this is a heavy, yet tiny, cruiser so I want to keep enough line to give me enough contingency but not fill all the lockers with line. Will 1/2" 6900-8500lbs line suffice? I prefer handling braid but I think 3-strand might be easier to cut/splice etc.

Since I'm replacing so much line at once, does it make sense to buy a bulk spool that can be used for mooring lines, docking lines and maybe get some mileage for extra anchor line?
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome