SailNet Community - View Single Post - Size & Type: Dock lines vs. Mooring lines
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanH View Post
Thanks delite. uh... although rise & fall of the tide here in the Great Lakes is minimal. I appreciate the arrangement suggestions, but the question here is more about the type of line; Braid vs. 3-strand.
Jordan, I use 3-strand dock lines that I leave on the dock at my slip. I have double-braid that I leave on the boat. For double-braid, I would just keep an eye out for sales at WM or other suppliers. They often have pre-spiced dock lines on sale.

My thought is that, like you, I like handling double-braid more than 3-strand. The lines that I leave on the boat don't get much weather and comparatively little use. They simply need to be strong and easy to use.

The lines that get left on the dock take the weather year round and get the most abuse, hence are replaced more often. Three strand stretches, is less expensive to replace, and I can splice myself.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook