SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cooper 416
Thread: Cooper 416
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011

svFolieADeux is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEtosha View Post
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, its great.

I didn't know that the chain locker was divided into 2. I assume you have a double bow roller but what about getting the chain out & in the locker?

Do you have 2 hourse pipes that are positioned to use the one windlass or does the locker have a lid that you open & feed each chain to the windlass?
The "division" of the chain locker is a bit of a hack and may have been done by the first owner. It does keep the 2 rodes separate through.

I have a horizontal windlass with 1 hawse pipe appropriately positioned at the chain gypsy. This is for my main anchor which is on all chain. The 2nd hawse pipe isn't positioned for windlass use, but as it's a rope rode it doesn't matter. I also don't use it all that often.
Quote:
It must be a very large locker to hold the quantity of chain & rope that you carry, are they both the same size or one bigger than the other?
The 50' of chain on the 2nd anchor is 3/8" but as it's rather corroded I'm going to replace it with 25' of 5/16" HT. The chain locker extends from the V-berth "platform" to the deck, and occupies all of the space forward of the forward v-berth bulkhead. There's a door set in that bulkhead that gives access to it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook