SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is any epoxy paint a good epoxy paint?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Epoxy "paint" and epoxy "barrier coat" are two different products. There is a reason most professionals I know choose Interprotect. My boat yard has tried every barrier coat to come down the pike to save money but they always come right back to Interprotect.

There are literally hundreds of different ways to formulate epoxy and the ones specific to barrier coating are designed specifically for this. All the epoxy makers also have additives you can add to their epoxy to make them a barrier coat. I have used West System, Pettit, Interprotect and MAS. The Interprotect is the one I prefer by quite a long shot and I find it well worth the money IF you install it correctly. Many people don't apply barrier coats properly and essentially waste their money. The hull has to be dry and 100% free of all old paint before coating. The final layer and hot-coating the bottom paint is the most critical step and many folks really mess this one up...

With ANY of them follow the directions...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook