SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fender hangers...too many choices!
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
We typically tie off to a stanchion base, but that does rub the line over the varnished toe rail, so it isn't ideal. The knot isn't an issue, we've always used a round turn and two half hitches. Its just natural to us.

Dragging the four 12"x34" fenders up the side decks after a long day of sailing gets tougher each time. Those things weigh as much as a small child and its very awkward to hold them over the side, while you tie them off to a stanchion base. When dropping them underway and the base catches a bow wake and gets kicked up, that can be a lot of weight to hold onto.

We look at every doohicky, but haven't seen one we think it either secure enough or will do the job well.

Ideally, I would like something that mounts to the stanchion and might be stainless itself, so that it blended in a bit. The attachment doesn't need to be adjustable, I would like something knotted to the fender line that just slipped in to the stanchion gizmo at an exact predetermined length. If we could just haul them up the side deck in order, plug them in and walk away, that might make the Admiral less cranky about it.

The downside to having something fixed on the fender line, is that you might have to remove it or be able to adjust it for a foreign port or fuel dock.

Unfortunately, our new marina is frowning upon permanently attaching fenders horizontally to the slip. If I were the Marina Manager, I would avoid my wife this weekend. She's not happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook