SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011

jmkrest is on a distinguished road
Difficult window bedding problem

I'm pretty excited about the butyl tape, and I just ordered a couple of rolls last night to check it out. I think it will work pretty well for my windows (portlights) where the flange meets the cabin, but I have a U-channel that holds the glass, and I need some advice on a good caulk to use to glaze it.

Each window is composed of two u-shaped aluminum frames with u-shaped channels that slide over the glass and are held together by short pieces of aluminum and four screws. The frame halves butt up against each other in a line with no overlap. There is a flange that is caulked and screwed onto the external window cutout.

We have tried 4200 and 4000 UV for sealing and bedding with poor results: the material seems to be a bit brittle after cure, and we've had numerous leaks. It also adheres too strongly to the painted surface, causing some damage when we remove the frames.

Can someone suggest a decent material for glazing the windows? There is approximately an 1/8" gap between the glass and aluminum on each side of the glass.

I have pics I am unable to post, but can share PM if necessary for clarity.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook