SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
post #91 of Old 05-20-2011
Difficult window bedding problem

I'm pretty excited about the butyl tape, and I just ordered a couple of rolls last night to check it out. I think it will work pretty well for my windows (portlights) where the flange meets the cabin, but I have a U-channel that holds the glass, and I need some advice on a good caulk to use to glaze it.

Each window is composed of two u-shaped aluminum frames with u-shaped channels that slide over the glass and are held together by short pieces of aluminum and four screws. The frame halves butt up against each other in a line with no overlap. There is a flange that is caulked and screwed onto the external window cutout.

We have tried 4200 and 4000 UV for sealing and bedding with poor results: the material seems to be a bit brittle after cure, and we've had numerous leaks. It also adheres too strongly to the painted surface, causing some damage when we remove the frames.

Can someone suggest a decent material for glazing the windows? There is approximately an 1/8" gap between the glass and aluminum on each side of the glass.

I have pics I am unable to post, but can share PM if necessary for clarity.

Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Golden Hind 31, 1976
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome