SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aac View Post
Interesting the lounge room look of the insides of a boat is so important to some; maybe if you lived on a boat. To me as soon as I see too much wood I cringe. It smacks of the Marina Trophy Look (MTL) and all too often style triumphs over substance. It’s as if the sailors designed a good boat only to see it destroyed by the interior designers. Then there’s the weight issue; the hull engineer goes to great lengths to minimize hull weight only to see things like 30Kg teak cockpit tables and 11 Kg doors installed (on my boat anyway). Such tables/doors look great in a house but not a boat. Using composite furniture of course goes a long way towards solving the furniture weight issue.

There also seems to be shift from that lounge room look by some designers, B-Yachts and the Pogo for example, where the minimalist looks gives functionality and most of all easy maintenance. If I were to buy a new boat these are the ones I would much prefer.

I would be quite happy with the Dehler furniture look so long as it was light weight, functional and easy to maintain; anything less would be an abomination to a well designed and built outside.
One of the first boats to use that lounge room look was the Gozzard and that one is not very light

Today it is possible to have a good looking interior with very light materials. somewhere back there is a post about the FinnFlyer. Look at the weight of the boat and look at the beautiful interior. That interior is beautiful and light

There are many uses for a sailboat but if one of them is living in it for extended periods I will want to have a minimum of comfort and a nice ambiance.

Regarding the Dehler the weight of the furniture would be about the same, bad or well designed.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 12-18-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook