SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aac View Post
Using composite furniture of course goes a long way towards solving the furniture weight issue.

I would be quite happy with the Dehler furniture look so long as it was light weight, functional and easy to maintain; anything less would be an abomination to a well designed and built outside.
Some builders go all the way and even provide no doors at all, or only one for the heads/shower. It looks quite shocking but in fact it can work quite well, at least for us since we do not intend to live on board.
And the furniture you really need can now indeed be made in very lightweight but evenly strong composite materials. I held between fingertips a floorboard that could carry my (excessive ) weight without a crank. Of course this only makes sense for light displacement boats intended for planing, on a Hallberg-Rassy type of yacht these (expensive) materials are of no use. The inside must honour the outside. But it does illustrate why the €/kg ratio can be high without being excessive .

Interiors are of course especially a matter of personal taste, but I also agree with Aac that they may at least be functional and certainly not a source of needless trouble (slots oxydating, hinges breaking, ceelings, linings and kit coming loose etc.) or excessive work for cleaning and maintenance (mildew behind coutermouldings, dust and dirt in inaccessible spaces). So functional minimalism also suits me very well, although I perfectly understand why many others don't like it at all .

Meanwhile I carefully monitor the excellent discussion about (vanishing) stability. Looking only at the basic figures the Pogo 12.50 should do quite well, but I did not see the stability curve yet. I look forward to your expert opinion, Paulo. Even if it's bad news, I'll take it like a man !

Best regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook