SailNet Community - View Single Post - current theory
Thread: current theory
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
You're talking about the current that moves past the boat as a result of the boat's motion? Unless there's a very strong lateral force on the boat (like leeway), this current is always balanced on the two sides of the bow.
If you're talking about ground-relative current, as plenty of posters have already pointed out, you don't experience this current directly.
The subject is going into a strong current as stated in post #1. Currents from the side are compensated differently...

In post #14 I stated the facts as simply as possible. It doesn't really matter as to where you center of effort or propulsion is at... It is the fact that when you are stemming the tide or current (amounts to the same thing), when your bow falls off the course the bow up stream will have pressure on it and the bow section down stream will have much less pressure. THUS your bow will be pushed around if you are not applying correcting rudder. No need for higher math to explain it.
This is one of the reasons that a ship will take a wild sheer when going up river. The other reason is that the ship sniffed the bottom or the side of the channel. One or all of those reasons can, will and have caused many a ship, vessel and boat to run aground.
So pay strick attention to your steering.

But seeing how I've captained large supply vessels, large factory trawlers and sailed as mates on ships, under Post #1's conditions I do have an excellent Idea of what is happening...
But then there are people who will argue their point of view just for the fun of it... At least I hope that is their reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook