SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fender hangers...too many choices!
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsoul View Post
The problem was that over time I noticed that they seemed to loosen my stanchions. A handful of times, I had dock lines either wear through or stolen and the boat ended up against the fenders and dock. The movement of the boat and water put quite a strain on the fenders, thus the lifelines and stanchion tops. Over time I noticed most of the stanchions near where I had been attaching my fender clips had become loose and leaked. Unfortunately my headliner had no access panels so I got to cut out parts of the head liner getting to the hardware so I could rebed the stanchions. I don't know if others have had similar experiences, but I stopped using them a few years back. I tie to the base of the stanchions now and haven't had a problem since. Just food for thought.
Amen!
BTW, I'm not "beating my chest" when I suggest people who don't want to tie off at ankle height might want to get a power boat. It's simply that given the list of challenging duties and conditions we face when sailing, kneeling down to tie a fender off while approaching a dock, is fairly far down the list (IMHO).

Last edited by L124C; 05-21-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook