SailNet Community - View Single Post - Prepping topsides for Interlux Perfection
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011

harraik is on a distinguished road
Prepping topsides for Interlux Perfection

I am getting ready to paint my topsides, which have been neglected for a long time. As a result, I have a huge buildup of old unknown paint and I need to get it back to bare fiberglass before priming and painting. I am working on a borrowed trailer and the boat needs to go back in the water at the beginning of next month, so I have a little bit of a time crunch.

I first started working away at the old paint with an orbital sander and 80 grit, which I saw recommended somewhere, but it was unbelievably slow--like a week straight of sanding slow--and I definitely don't have the time. So I went to my 4.5" angle grinder with the sanding attachment and a 50-grit disk, which is the least abrasive that I could find. That is making much quicker work of the job, but it is leaving me with a bit of an uneven result. I am stopping as soon as I get through to the fiberglass, but I am working in vertical pulls and creating low spots all the way along as I go.

Should I go back over with the orbital and try to smooth it out? Should I expect to fix this with fairing compound? If so, is that going to be a reasonable task if the whole topsides needs fairing? Should I be concerned that I am weakening the hull? How smooth do the topsides need to be to get a good result? Thoughts about going forward (I am only about a 1/4 of the way done)?

Finding limited resources on the topic, and the process of extensive fairing...

To add a little bit of perspective, this is on a 70's Coronado 25--I want to do a great job, but it isn't that dream boat that I will have forever.

Thanks!

Last edited by harraik; 05-22-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook