SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

what to keep on my boat

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  smallboatlover 
#1 ·
i have a 16' mistral and it's a open cockpit design. now i plan on having a outboard on the boat. what equipment should i keep on board. i know pdfs for every one but what else. the reason i ask this because of the limited space to put stuff.

#7 · (Edited)
Where are you sailing? IMHO, for dingy day sailing, something to bail with, a paddle if you want (you can also rock the boat side to side to propel yourself forward), pfds (a dingy vest), something to drink, something to eat.... that's about it. And of course venue appropriate clothing. That's related to the 'where' question. Extra? A handheld VHF for weather and emergency coms. Boat should have a compass, but if it doesn't not too much to worry about. Assuming you're sailing in reasonable conditions fairly close to shore.

#8 ·
It helps people answer your question if you put a bit more information in your profile, especially location and boat info.

I would check with the Coast Guard for required equipment, as well as your local authorities. Have at least that stuff on board and just for personal satisfaction get a Coast Guard courtesy inspection and earn a sticker.

Apart from required equipment, it all depends on your boat as to what else you'd want to carry.

#13 ·
You can check out the RI safe boating info at
Rhode Island Boating Safety Course and Exam - Official Boating License and Boater Safety Course, It has most of the info you would need.
Don't forget a horn, and compass or a portable gps, the bay can go from
sunny to pea-soup fog in less time than you think.

Pete

#16 ·
OK I just looked up the Mistral - it has more in common with my Hobie, than it does with keel boats. Here is what I carry -

My PFD - with big pockets and ALWAYS worn.
- a knife
- a floating VHF
- a loud whistle.
(those three in my vest pockets and tethered)

- spare parts, cord, mini-roll of duct tape
- water bottle
- leatherman multi-tool

Is your outboard electric or gas? If gas, you'll need a fire extinguisher. (I have to imagine you'll be using a trolling motor)

#17 ·
yes i plan on having a gas motor i was thinking around 2-5 hp it's came with a 3hp but can't get it running. what do you thinking of a electric motor? It would be cheaper. but would it be better than gas. i mean i will be using the motor to go from shore were i launch it out past other boats and than sail and also coming back in and into docks.

#18 · (Edited)
I really have too little experience with small engines to comment either way - I don't use an engine at all. This thread discusses it somewhat. I have used rentals (Pearson Ensign) in the bay that use an electric to get away from the dock.

How lively is your sailing? The pictures of the Mistral I looked at had it rigged with a trapeze. You'll need to strap down the tank or the battery, regardless. On the other hand, is paddling a possibility?

#20 ·
Less weight = better sailing!

Plus less headache without having to worry about a motor.

You have to consider how you would deal with a knockdown. I know the previous owner had a motor that now isn't working - did the engine get swamped?

How far would you have to paddle before raising sail?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.