SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 400 Power Useage
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
OK Mike... so you can check out the at rest voltage on your Link and as Dave says, you can even get a much fuller report on your battery charging state and routine use and results by a thorough reading of your Link manual about the menu system. This is definitely something you should do. One thing you said has me thinking that perhaps your batteries are somewhat sulphated and in need of Equalizing (which I think you can do with your Heart)...you said you've been charging up to "float" which means that you are perhaps putting in only an 80% or less charge. You need to see those flashing green lights on your link when you're on a cruise...if not every day...then at least every few days!
I'd also recommend a higher power alternator and separate 3 stage regulator which will both treat your batteries better and mean less engine running time.
Finally...I'm assuming you have wet cell batteries with water caps. You have checked the individual cells AT REST and you do keep them topped up with DISTILLED water right? Dockside charging will boil off the water and leave the plates exposed killing the battery life. If you don't have wet cells...DON'T Equalize the batteries with the "Heart until you've contacted the manufaturer for instructions or things could get rather explosive!
Have fun!!

Last edited by camaraderie; 08-04-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook