SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina 400 Power Useage
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 08-04-2006
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 10
Mike, I agree with camaraderie, I think you are only charging you batteries up to 80%. This will reduce the life of your batteries.

The rule of thumb is that it takes 20% of the charge time to charge to 80% capacity, and 80% of the charge time to charge the remaining 20%. If you run your generator 1 hour to get to the float voltage level, you wound need to run it at least four more hours to fully charge your batteries.

The only way to know for sure is with the specific gravity reading of each cell or the open cell (unloaded) voltage of the batteries. If you use the open cell method you would preferably disconnecting each battery from the others to identify any bad cells/blocks. (The specific gravity reading of each cell will identify if you have any “bad” cells in each block. Unfortunately this option is not available if you have AGM batteries.)

If you identify a bad cell/block, equalizing may bring it back. IF you have AGM batteries you MUST follow the manufactures recommendations. Most of the manufacturers are online so all you have to do is identify the manufacturer and download the specific instructions. NEVER NEVER NEVER equalize a battery, or charge a battery, outside the manufacturers specifications.
dave.verry is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome