SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hunter Sailboat Quality?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011

MLampner is on a distinguished road
Love my Vintage Hunter

In part it may be because I know no other boat as well as I know my own, but I love my 77 Hunter. The PO didn't do much in his last years of ownership but at least he did no harm.

While I have not faced a hurricane on her on open water in the Chesapeake she has brought me home when I have heard others mounting distress calls.

When I brought her home after I bought her 2 years ago we left the quiet waters of the Putexent into the teeth of a 40 mph wind with gusts into the 60's. If we'd known what we were heading into we would have never left port, but as it was it brought us home safe.

Being a green sailor, its only my 4th year on the water after a 40 plus year layoff I have done my share of stupid things, but she has always forgiven me and gotten us both home. There are no doubt stronger better boats out there but there are few as forgiving.

I also would point out virtually nothing its age can go to wind like this boat does. Several times I have out run far newer longer boats when heading to wind, that with a green sailor at the helm so don't let people talk you out of an older Hunter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook