SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wind gusts
Thread: Wind gusts
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Minne. I'm in Texas too (Austin) so it's always gusty and swirly. On our C27, she's rock solid up to about 20 knots with full sail...though a bit of a handful. And she's okay with a single reefed main and 110 up to 30. At 40, it really turns into work and caution. And I've never been out in 50 (except in a squall where I was sheltered by a cliff).

In general, I try to set the sails as full as I can get away with for the general conditions, then pay very close attention to the water to read the gusts and ease very quickly. I like fast.

Overall, 15-20 is definitely the sweet spot for us. Even our newb passengers have been good with it as long as I explain the whole heeling thing before hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook