SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recommended ASA Certification schools in Annapolis?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for your replies.

You address a couple of my thoughts: (1) being sure I can rent where I want to go, one of which is Croatia (we have a friend (in Va.) who is Serbian so we'd love to cruise over there with them) and I recently read that the charter companies there require an ASA type certification if you don't have a paid captain, but I'll confirm that -- probably would be OK in the BVI; and (2) I definitely need to get more time/experience on a boat w/ more systems than Catalyst (no water tank, stove, diesel, basic electrical w/ no generator or much of anything powered, etc.), as well as handling a larger boat in a harbor/docking situation ...

In fact, for the BVI since I'd like to go to Anegada and understand that they won't let uncaptained charters go there unless you've done it before, I thought of even doing our first week down there w/ a captain so that on later trips we'll have "BTDT" and can go on our own (we hope).

so thanks for the votes of confidence & suggestions, I'll probably be back to ask again as I get closer to having time to actually do it ... with current situation involving parental eldercare I have no time for the foreseeable future, can barely get to my own boat 25 mins. from my house.

best,
Jon

Pearson 26 #1200

Last edited by fendertweed; 05-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook