SailNet Community - View Single Post - a small question
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2006

rmbjspd is on a distinguished road
a small question

hi all,

my first post on the site. i have a question for all of you.

my son, who is pretty experienced with sailing -- much more than i am -- but doesn't have much experience with big live-aboard ones, wants to strike out on his own and live on a boat. i envy his decision, and admire his enthusiasm, but want to make sure the details of the move are informed.

therefore, i'm asking all of you your opinions. Could this work? if so, what kind of boat should he get? he's on a meager, but sufficient, budget, and so is looking for a used, fixer-upper but seaworthy (if not immediately sail-able) boat anywhere from 27 to 40 feet. Any bigger than that, and he figured that marina fees wouldn't be cheaper than rent.

What models / brands of boat do you all suggest? it doesn't have to be the fastest boat in the world, but it should be livable, comfortable, and able to make relatively long journeys, say, the length of the chesapeake. i don't see him getting much more ambitious than that anytime soon. he's had his eye on some double-ended boats in the 34 foot range, but has yet to pull the trigger on any. also, what good, reliable online resources are there for finding used boats?

thanks for your advice!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook