SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWet View Post
I'm sure you are looking for some tape for this weekend, but I just received mine from Maine Sail -- two days. (Thanks)

MS: I trust that your brand is of high quality and a portion can sit in the basement for a couple of years prior to being used?

The tape I offer is about the best quality for this type of service you can get. It was not easy to get nor easy to get the manufacturer to agree to it and I still have to buy it in multi-skid quantities.

I had a customer at my house two days ago who wondered how long this stuff lasts. I had saved a roll from 1996 of a similar type. I peeled off a piece, the wax paper is not in the best shape, and then he stretched and kneaded the two. The stuff from 1996 was still like new.. As Mitiempo said the stuff on our CS built boats is still flexible, gooey, sticky and still keeping water out even at 33 years old...

You really need to be careful with what "butyl" you get. RV butyl, much like masonry butyl is not the same stuff that was used by many builders back when butyl was widely used.

I have had three rolls of "butyl" sent to me by customers two of which were not even butyl but rather a "putty" and one which was so solvent rich it had melted and deformed in the box.

I tested over 40 different sources of butyl from various manufacturers and there is a VAST difference in the quality, elongation and durometer/density rating as well as working temp range. All butyl tape is not the same, so much like LED bulbs it has become buyer beware. Heck you may not even get butyl tape and even if you do the quality you get may not survive long in the marine environment.

This is a correspondence with one customer who bought the wrong butyl..

"Hello Maine,

Got the butyl rubber in time. Thanks for making the special trip!

Not that I didn’t believe you, but I wanted to check out the two tapes myself. They are two totally different materials. I will be tossing the butyl rubber I bought previously. If you’ll excuse the lousy video, I think you’ll spot your tape.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rmcgill...94158195187106

Thanks for the great product and for your technical tips.

Have a great weekend.

Bob
"

Before doing all the hard work watch the video my customer made. My tape is the stuff on the left the other stuff is RV grade... Like many things in life you often do get what you pay for..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-28-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook