SailNet Community - View Single Post - Too much wind
Thread: Too much wind
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
It sucketh. The sailing season this Spring on Lake Michigan has been dismal, and continues to be iffy this weekend.
I think the forecast is a bit >< more optimistic for us, on the east side of the state, but, given the way this spring has been going: I wouldn't place any bets.

Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer, with "only" a 20% chance of so of rain, increasing to near certainty in the afternoon/evening. That's okay, because tomorrow I had planned only to tune the rigging, get the sails aboard and the mainsail hanked on, hook up the shore power, and otherwise finish getting her ready to sail on...

Sunday: The plan is to finally sail! Problem is: Winds are predicted to be "light and variable." Coupled with Lake St. Stupid's naturally screwy air: That's a recipe for A Really Boring Day, followed by "Screw it," fire up the iron genoa, and head back in. If history is any guide: At about the time we've finished tying-up, the wind should pick up Chance of rain increases to 40% on Sunday That brings us to...

Memorial day. There's a Memorial Day Observance at our sail club, and, I imagine, we'll spend the day there and with friends who live nearby that "launch" their pool on Memorial Day weekend.

So... It could be good, or it could really suck.

It's been a Really Weird Spring, this year. Until last weekend, there were few boats, sail or power, in the water, 'round these parts.

There was at least one Really Terrific Sailing Weather Day earlier this week. Of course: I was working that day and Abracadabra wasn't ready to sail yet...

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook