SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing the Hudson River NY
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
... and the Eldridge "Tide and Pilot Manual" has intuitive current charts for both the East River and The Race and Gut for about $15 including tax.
Yes, it can be a fun ride by Roosevelt Island into Hell Gate but the several times I've done it but the currents were no worse or stronger then my experiences going through the Plum Island Gut except there is usually less room to maneuver in the East River so extra vigilance is required.
The trip around Manhattan will be fun and your GPS just might hit 10 knots if you get a strong current near Hell Gate. The trip through the Erie Canal is something I've wanted to do. PM me if you stop in NYC (I'm in lower Manhattan, 1 mile north of The Battery).

I'm surprised I haven't plugged the club where we keep our boat yet as a stopover point on the Hudson. Our boat is at the Nyack Boat Club on a mooring and they have some guest moorings that are something like $25/night. The club has a launch and showers and the village has restaurants. It is about 25 nm. from the Battery in NYC. Since it is a sailing club there is no fuel dock per se and the local fuel and pump out is in Tarrytown but it is more of a motorboat club and is in tight quarters.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 05-27-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook