SailNet Community - View Single Post - My Boat Shopping Adventures Log
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011
Greenhorn

DePingus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DePingus
My Boat Shopping Adventures Log

After several months of studying and research, I finally went out to view some sailboats for sale! I would like to post up some pictures and some thoughts on what I've seen. If there are any objections to me doing this please I will delete it. If not, then I will continue to update this thread as I go viewing more boats until I find the one.

First, a little background. I'm based in South Florida and looking for my first sailboat. I want something blue water capable (seeing as how the Caribbean is so close) with a budget of about $15k (maybe a bit more with the right sacrifices). I don't mind a boat that needs work done, as long as boat + work falls within the budget. I also wouldn't mind doing the work myself, but I'm inexperienced with sailboats and would only have the weekends to work on it.

So without further ado...I present to you:

Boat #1 - 19?? Islander 36
From Boats - Islander36

The owner is asking $9500. He told me that it needed about $1k or $2k to get it sail ready. $4k would get it "ship shape". I think not. The hull was smashed on the port side. The caulking between the deck and hull was falling out. There was so much wrong with this boat. I didn't even go inside. Check out the gallery for more pics (click the link that says "From: Boats - Islander36"). The pic captions tell the story.

Boat #2 - 1977 Heritage West Indies 36
From Boats - Heritage36

This is a much nicer boat. The price is a bit high, $17,500 but the broker told me the owner was flexible. I actually would like the opinion of some experienced sailors as to how much it would take to get this boat ship shape.

Here is what I know about it:
At some point this boat was dismasted. The mast and rigging are new. The previous owner even installed a larger chainplate on the bulk head.

The bilge was completely filled with water. The guy there climbed behind the engine and said that the leak seemed to be coming from where the prop shaft exits the hull. Obviously the bilge pumps were not working. We got one to pump working manually.

The mainsail needs to be repaired for $600 or replaced for $1200 (according to the broker).

The boat has to be hauled and the bottom painted. And now the shaft leak fixed.

At least one of the through gunnel drains leaks (or leaked). The edges of the drains were sealed with some strange compound (see the gallery). There are cracks and dings on the hull that seem to be from age and use. I don't know how serious they are.

No AC, no generator. Not much in the way of electronics. It does have some kind of autopilot and a VHF.
Well, that's all I have for now. Please chime in with your thoughts and opinions or ask questions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook