SailNet Community - View Single Post - s/v Merihiisi is afloat, finally....
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011
Rhumbunctious

patrickstickler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Very cool, we've got a few things in common.
Even a few more things than you mention, as I was born in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) ;-)

Quote:
I lived in Westend for three years ('56 to '59) and loved living in Finland.
Merihiisi is berthed in Suvisaaristo, just a stones throw from Westend (if you have a good throwing arm)

Quote:
We had a '23 wooden sloop, sort of like a Folkboat but smaller. I learned to sail in Newport, RI but really got the "hands on" in Finland with that little boat. Sailed just about every day in the summer.

Nice.

Quote:
Also owned a Westerly Padgent for 10 years here in Florida. We always felt comfortable in that boat, no matter what the weather. We've got a 28' Morgan now but inside she's got less room than the Westerly.
One of the things I was repeatedly impressed with, and quite happy about, as I went about the refit was the construction. These 70-80's era Westerlies are built like tanks. New boats just can't compare, at least not without becoming horrendously expensive. Robust, to say the least.
Quote:
My short stay in Finland changed my life. I learned about Sisu, Sauna and Women in Finland. I also caught a disease, I call it the Motorcycle Disease. It started with a scooter .............
;-)

Quote:
Very impressive re-fit, that boat's ready for just about anything. Enjoy your "new" boat and the comming Finnish summer. Do they still use that basket on a stick system of channel markers? Never could figure them out ......
Fortunately, buoyage is now standardized, so no baskets on sticks.

-
Cruising the Baltic in 'Merihiisi', a 1979 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook