SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting the right size...
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Question Getting the right size...

Hello to all.

I am looking for advice/input from true liveaboard cruisers on how much space you thought you would need when you first moved aboard versus how much space you actually require after a year or two of living aboard. I am very interested in learning from others how their perspective of space has changed as they became more accustomed to the cruising and liveaboard lifestyle.

I have been researching boats in preparation of buying, living aboard, and cruising to wherever my whims take me. Since I have never lived aboard or cruised extensively, I am trying to get some idea of how much boat I am going to need. I have read accounts of how people who have made the transition from living ashore to living afloat have discarded much, if not all, of their material possesions and never looked back. They seem to find plenty of room on their boats for the few things they need. Others appear to upgrade to larger boats for the extra room and comforts they afford. I'm sure this is mostly personal preference.

As for me, I have camped comfortably (for me anyway) for as much as 7 days at a time from what I could carry aboard my 13' kayak and loved it. As I look around my 2800 sf house, I could pack everything I actually use on a regular basis in my Ford Explorer. I do want a little room to grow on my boat in the event of guests and I definitely require at least 6'2" of headroom minimum. In addition to spares and stores, about all I would require space for would be books, my carpentry and concrete finishing tools, and my kayak.

At this point, I have been thinking a boat around 37' would suit my needs but I'm wondering if my reasoning may be influenced by the fact that I'm writing this post from the couch in my 2800 sf home. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook