SailNet Community - View Single Post - Getting the right size...
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Tom makes a valid point. We've spent the last 9 years living comfortably on a (wide) 33-footer. My advice would be, don't take your land-based understanding of what you "need" with you when you go boat-shopping. For example: on land, you may think you need a second cabin to serve as a home office. Once you move aboard, you realize that you never needed that, you can do just fine making your home office as your boat's nav station.

One way to plan what you really need to move aboard, something we call "shopping at our house": take everything (EVERY THING) out of your kitchen cabinets and put it in the basement. Then, live your normal life. When you need something, go downstairs and get it. Sooner or later, a few weeks or a month into the project, you'll decide to use a chef's knife instead of going downstairs to get the super-special-tomato-slicer-gizmo that you discovered in an infomercial... at that point you'll have separated your posssessions - you'll have a kitchen full of things you really use, and a basement full of things to sell on ebay or donate or give away. Repeat the process with your clothing, tools, whatever, and you'll be well on your way to moving aboard!

E-books, scanned photos instead of photo albums, and iPod instead of a collection of cd's are your friends. Figure out what makes you feel like you're 'camping out' - whatever it is for you - and make sure your boat accomodates that. (For me, that was walking back from a marina shower at 6 AM in the winter with wet hair. So, our ideal boat demanded hot water and a head with hand-held shower hose.)

Good luck, we love living aboard and probably won't go back to land unless old age and illness force the issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook