SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cape Dory 28 - Ocean Voyaging Potential
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerjm
I am looking at buying a Cape Dory 28 'fixer upper' and sailing her south to the caribbean.

I was looking at a Contessa 26 but I need more room for the family.
Jim... I've been debating about whether to reply to your note. The CD28 is a fine boat and certainly capable of making blue-water passages so, your plans for a trip to the Carib in one are do-able. What concerns me is your comment that you need a 28 for "family room" which implies you will be taking kids along. This is a very small boat for a family and I think it will be most uncomfortable/dangerous in big seas and heavy weather for small children. I would never question your right to undertake such a voyage as good seamanship counts for a lot... (there are a lot of unsafe captains on 40+ footers!) ...but I would really question the judgement that says such a voyage on such a boat should be undertaken with kids.
A couple of offshore passages in a CD28 without the kids, in snotty weather will give you a feel for this and perhaps the CD owners group might provide such a passage opportunity before you make an investment.
I think Alberg designed lovely boats and the Typhoon is IMO one of the prettiest little boats that ever came off a drawing board.
All best...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook