SailNet Community - View Single Post - How did your Pacific Seacraft do when the going got rough?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011
Andrew McGeorge ... NZ

ANKA is on a distinguished road
Hi from New Zealand. I'd been wanting to get aboard a PSC 34 on the open water for a while and this month I went on a pre offshore shakedown cruise NE of New Zealand with a single hander who has already been around the globe 2 1/2 times.

For the first day we were pretty much running in 30 knots with the triple reefed main, staysail and some headsail. Very comfortable and dry. Our return was head on into 30 to 35 knots gusting higher. With the triple reefed main and staysail the boat seemed a little underpowered and from time to time did tend to hobbyhorse. Any headsail caused excessive heeling so we used the storm jib on a spare halyard. This increased the drive nicely without much extra heeling and seemed to reduce pitching. It was quite comfortable. The boat was very very heavily loaded. All compartments were crammed full including the whole quarter berth and every inch forward of the head door from sole to ceiling. On deck was not much better with the dinghy, extra anchors and jerry cans of fuel.

It's a great little boat you all have.

I'd like to hear from any of you who went offshore and managed the space limitations a little better, or is a crew of two all you can expect on a 34?

Andrew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook