SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery cut-off switch
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
So is Abracadabra.

Well, yeah. That's pretty typical Those plus fore and aft stays. But Abracadabra has wire running all over the place, bonding all those metal bits together.

Perhaps I misunderstood your point. I didn't mean to suggest that the mast and rigging are part of any circuits, but only that, on many boats, they are "grounded."

Jim
And one of the BIGGEST mistakes folks make is to use the bonding/earth potential system as a negative return!!! Don't do it!!!! Sadly this is one thing I see ALL THE TIME.

A well known yacht designer I know said he knew his entire boat inside and out and that his electrical system was perfect. It was, until he found a fuel pump negative return circuit tied to the BONDING system and the reason the bottom paint was all funky and discolored around all of his underwater metals...

The bonding system is not designed to ever carry any current. The mast and shrouds are part of the lightning system and do not need to be "bonded" as underwater metals do.

The biggest problem with most bonding systems is that they rarely work as they are intended to because of terminal corrosion.

Switching of the positive conductor is part of the ABYC standards and a negative switched circuit will or should fail a survey if a competent surveyor is used...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook