SailNet Community - View Single Post - ten things I love about my boat
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Words needed? Now this is MY kind of challenge!

3) There's something in the way she moves (through the water). No other boat feels as wonderful as a sailboat.

4) There's always something interesting to do with it. It entertains me for a day, a week, a month, or as long as I have to time give to it.

5) There's always something interesting to do to it too. Endless tinkering in the search for /gadgets/speed//status/. DaWIFE calls it the worlds greatest tinkertoy because I'm always tinkering with it. I tell her I wish she wouldn't say it that way; it presents a bad impression. But she laughs and doesn't listen. She's a wise woman. Maybe she knows something I don't. But back to the points ...

6) I love that my boat provides a point of commonality with the most loving, most accepting, best people in the world -- boat people -- and provides entry into their society.

7) If you love your boat, it'll love you back. Take care of her and treat her right, and she'll always get you home. (Now, the flip side of this coin can be downright scary! Abuse her with poor operating habits, bad judgement, or no maintenance, and she'll leave you high and dry -- or worse, low and wet.)

8) I love the way the boat can work the wind to achieve the destination. It is more of a challenge than power boating but far more rewarding too.

9) I love the sounds she makes when she's working. The water sounds, the little creaks and clanks, and the wind in the rigging. It sounds like home.

10) I love my boat for its ability to heal me. Truly, the canvas really does work miracles, for whether it be for a pleasant daysail poking about in zephyrs or racing with friends in freshening airs, I am transmogrified from the careworn, weighed-down hulk that left the dock back into a mariner, with a renewed spirit and a zest that can't be described to those who haven't felt it.

And one extra:

11) I love the way my boat reminds me to live slow. Life in the fast lane takes a heavy toll on all of us. We think we have no choice, but of course we do. Our sailboats remind us of the pleasure one can find in simple things. Experiencing the wind and water; talking; waltzing on the waves; delighting in seeing the unexpected like a porpoise, whale, or manatee; enjoying the trip; and throwing away the schedule.

And so that's why I love my boat!

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook