SailNet Community - View Single Post - What would you do if....?
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Whilst I'm sure he'd be amazed at the small, compact engine size... the rest of your post is not quite true:

They had large rowing-boats (more than one) and plenty of crew to provide sufficient auxilliary power (10 man-power?) to get them out shallow water or poor winds - and the seamanship with wind/tide to know how best to do it - but going there in the first place with either no charts or poor charts, is IMO far more gutsy.

It was quite common for the first explorers (Cook et al) to re-draw someone else's charts as they sailed along. Scary stuff!
That is what is even more amazing. Ok, you have a large crew to provide rowing power if need be, but do you have enough food and water to feed this crew on the extend voyages they did? I understand most of Cook's crew and I think two of the three ships were lost on his voyage so basically these voyages were somewhat suicidal. Just think early explores sailing into the night knowing they might hit some submerged reef half way around the world from their home, with no one to help them. Not even a radio to speak their last words to their next of kin. Seems that these were real men (and women- if any were on board). These guys had some guts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook