SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Jabsco Macerator... a ticking bomb of nastyness
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
The Jabsco Macerator... a ticking bomb of nastyness

I had the joy of dealing with a failing jabsco macerator this last weekend.

I wish I could get the addresses of the guys who designed it, so I could send it back to them in all it's stinking foul glory.

The thing is held together by 4 screws that corrode... not sure if it's the salt, or electrolysis, but when they fail it comes apart and you get black water in the bilge.

I had to cut it out and jam a plug in the hose, while 1 1/2 inches of nastyness flowed into the bilge. (either get it over with all at once or let it slowly drain!)

I used the thru-hull as a sweetening ****... flooding the bilge and then pumping it out... until it was clean.

I'm still suffering from post-traumatic stress from the whole incident. I ordered a shurflo macerator today... but I'm not sure if I'll be able to face the horror of replacing those hoses (might as well while I'm in there) and installing the new macerator.

If you have a jabsco macerator on your boat... it's just a matter of time until it fails. It will probably be on a major holiday weekend or your birthday weekend (or both as in my case)