SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The Saga 409 is nice but I prefer the older Saga 43 by Bob Perry.
Brian, let me be clear on this. The Saga 409 has a more modern under-body and will be proportionally faster but even if I can appreciate that, I like more the design brief of the 43. Meaning that the 409 is not only modern but it is designed to satisfy main stream cruisers. They are most coastal cruisers and want lots of light and height in the saloon and that means a high free-board and a more "fat" design. That does not mean that the 409 is not a bluewater boat, just that it has some features that were not designed taking that into consideration.

The 43 is an old school boat and it is designed more for speed and bluewater sailing. It is a design brief that you can rarely find these days and the reason is that not only because those boats are expensive to build but also there are few sailors really interested in that program and available to pay the difference and get a boat with less interior space and less light. A modern boat with a modern hull for the same design brief would be for instance the Xc-42.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 06-01-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook