SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winching my boat into the dock?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
I can tell you that nobody on the Chesapeake Bay has to deal with this kind of current on a daily basis

Rick, maybe thats why some us like keeping our boats on the Chesapeake Bay, we dont want to deal with this

That being said when you have your boat for a long time sooner or later you will be faced with this and similar challenges when docking. We take our boat up to the LI Sound and New England where the currents/ tides are just a strong, where there is greater wind and wave action as well. Tide change where we go up there is 9 ft in some places with a minimum of 6. Even in Kent Narrows (on the Chesapeake) the current runs 4+ knots sometimes.

All of these docking situations make you more experienced and better at handling other situations in the long run. I would never shy away from docking because of the size of the boat. You just learn how to handle it thats all. Most of us who have had boats for a long period of time have had to deal with what you are dealing with. It is why we keep our boats in an area of less turbulence in many ways.

Think of it that you are getting great experience more quickly than most people do .

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook