SailNet Community - View Single Post - Singlehanding a PSC37???
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBrain333 View Post
To add to the information already posted:

Docking: With our fixed three-blade prop the stern walks to port a LOT in reverse. This is a godsend in single handed docking (on the face of a dock) as long as I can come in Port side to. I approach the dock at about 30 to 45 degrees, swing in, put it hard in reverse and stop the boat with it sitting quietly and parallel to the dock -- well almost every time. I then just step out, affix lines, and delight in looking like I know what I'm doing -- for once! Docking in a slip is terra incognita to me so I'd appreciate hearing how others do this.

Jay

PSC 37 Kenlanu
Jay,
I also have a 3 blade prop and have a lot of prop walk. I go into my slip like you. My problem is backing out of the slip. The boat wants to do a 360 deg turn. I am in a double slip with no pilings between me and the boat next to me. My fear is damaging the boat next to me. When single handing the boat and getting out of the slip (with normal 15 knot trades trying to push me back into the slip) is high tension. I found the best way is to tie a line at mid ship and walk the boat out as far as I can then jump on and motor out.

I have also found placing the rudder on the starboard side counter acts the prop walk somewhat.

Do you have any ideas how to make backing easier?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook